Sunday, February 2, 2014

Raising Money Through The Mouse: Running the Princess Half Marathon For Charity

 Have you ever wanted to combine your passion for running with a desire to help others?  runDisney can help you do that!

How do you get started?  Choose a charity.  This year the Princess Half Marathon offered 15 worthy charities from which to choose.  Find one that speaks to you - something you can be passionate about!  I chose Give Kids The World - an organization that offers seriously ill children and their families a fantasy Orlando vacation.  As a mom who loves Disney, I couldn't think of a better charity.  Giving sick kids and their families a chance to go to the Happiest Place on Earth?  I'm in!  You can find participating charity groups under the registration tab for each runDisney event.



How much money do I need to raise?  That depends on the requirements of the charity.  Some ask you to raise relatively small amounts to cover your race entry fee plus a little extra for the charity.  Others require you to raise thousands in order to participate.  Give some thought to your comfort level and choose wisely.  If you can't raise the required funds, then you may be left covering the difference yourself.

What are the benefits?  Obviously, the satisfaction of helping those less fortunate is your main benefit. Guaranteed race entry, even if the race is sold out, is a big incentive.  Discounts on theme park tickets through the runDisney Sports program and discounts on select Disney hotel rooms are often involved as well.  Other perks depend on the charity and the amount you raise.

Here is my personal example:
I committed to raise $3,000 for Give Kids The World.  The physical benefits I will receive are the aforementioned guaranteed race entry, 3 nights at the Swan or Dolphin hotel, transport to and from the airport, a GKTW tech shirt and one free park ticket.  Also included is the chance to purchase additional park tickets at a discount.

Some charities offer tiered fundraising requirements and benefits so that people at different comfort levels can still raise funds for the same charity.

 If you are involved in a charity group and you would like to participate in runDisney events, you can apply on their Charity Group page.

It hasn't always been easy to raise my required funds but knowing that I was helping sick kids enjoy the magic of Disney was a huge motivator.  I'll wear my shirt proudly and know that I will have made the miles matter!

Check out the other posts in our Princess Marathon Blog Hop!

Virtual Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Blog Hop Directory

Have you ever run for charity?  Which race and which charity?

23 comments:

  1. This is great that you have made this commitment! If you run for charity, do you still have to submit a time for corral placement or do all the charity runners run together in the same corral? How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still submit your time. Your group sends you a special link for registration, but it's the exact same reg page that everyone else fills out.

      Delete
  2. great info. My sis and I are considering running for charity for the DL half.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it. There are so many charities working with Disney that you are sure to find something that is special to you!

      Delete
  3. Wow! What an impressive commitment! That's great! I love that Disney does give to charities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely wasn't easy, and I was sweating it on occasion, but it is a good feeling!

      Delete
  4. I think this is something I might consider in the future. It is nice to know that your accommodations are relatively handled, as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that was part of my package. Different charities might have different packages that may or may not include accommodations.

      Delete
  5. You have struck a chord with me Amy; I started running at the age of 52 precisely because of my family's involvement with Autism Speaks. Running for a cause you deeply believe in adds an element to racing that is sometimes difficult to put into words. But you did! Beautifully. Thank you so much for sharing and joining the Virtual Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Didi! It's definitely been an eye-opening experience into the difference one can make while doing something they enjoy! Glad I was able to join in on the Hop; thanks for organizing!

      Delete
  6. Great post - I have often wondered what was involved in running for a charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the bigger races - not just Disney - are putting together charity programs. Always look at the race's website for options!

      Delete
  7. I am still in awe of you! You rocked it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania! I couldn't have done it without tons of support!

      Delete
  8. This is awesome -- would totally love to run for charity sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth the work, if you find something you truly care about!

      Delete
  9. Good Luck to you! Give Kids the World is such a wonderful charity, and you'll be helping to create magic not just for yourself but for others!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing! I want to do something like this, but it's important to me to find a cause that I'm passionate about. I'm glad you shared your experience though. Gives me a bit more courage to look into this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such a wonderful job, Amy!! I'm possibly considering running for a charity in the future, but fund raising scares me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a former charity runner, I know where you are coming from! I think this is a wonderful organization and kudos to you for making such an impact!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post!

    For my 1st Half, I ran the NYC Half with TNT and it was a great experience. Perfect way to get into running with lots of guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post on a subject I had lots of questions about. Congratulations on participating, I think you picked a great charity and can feel a little extra pride in knowing you are helping sick kids!

    ReplyDelete