Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Planting The Seeds of Fitness

The title is what my husband threw out at me when I asked him what I should write about.  

Huh?  I need more.

He said, "What you've done since you started this whole quest".

He called my running a quest.  I like that.



Mr. Miles reminded me that my kids have watched me doing my runs and my races.  They see the medals piling up.

My kids have started running, too.  They've done a couple of kids fun runs and the Peachtree Jr, which is a 3K option.  My oldest and I are going to do The Color Run together in April - his first 5K!  That kid's gonna smoke me if I don't rein him in!




I was also advised of something I didn't know.  Or maybe I had forgotten.  At any rate, Mr. Miles told me that I'm responsible for his running, too.  "I was firmly entrenched on the elliptical."  He wanted to do some races with me, mainly the world famous Peachtree Road Race 10K.  Since then, he splits his time between the elliptical and the treadmill at his office.  We've done 3 Peachtrees together and several other races. We've also run 3 ALS runs in memory of his mom.  This race was traditionally a 5K but last year I convinced him to bump up to his first 15K with me.  He beat me and then swore he wasn't going past a 10K again.  Oh, well.  I guess inspiration only goes so far.

This whole conversation was pretty touching and humbling.  In a house full of boys, it's quite something to be setting the athletic example.  It's even better to know that it's being noticed.

Whether you place in your races or are just trying to stay one step ahead of the sag wagon, you can be an inspiration to the most important people in your life.  You are planting the seeds of fitness, and I hope your garden blooms beautifully.

Mom's First 10K




19 comments:

  1. That must be a really awesome feeling! I hope to continue my fitness when I'm eventually a mom, so that my kids can pick up healthy eating and living habits from the start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... I love this! Yeah--- my whine about running with my kids isn't quite mother of the year, is it? LOL You rock as always Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I whined about running with my kids!

      Delete
  3. You are inspiring many more then that with your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Amy! I have noticed it more with E than I have with L. Though he is more concerned about whether he is faster than I am for his mile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome Amy! (AND you had Aragorn, so I had to post just b/c of that! Uh..yum!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pretty happy when I stumbled across that one! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I'm also the only female in a household of boys so I definitely feel you! You're doing great things, Momma, and I love seeing kids get inspired by their active and healthy parents. It good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *It's - I can't deal with my own typos! ;)

      Delete
    2. Boy mommas unite! I figure I have to convince them I can still catch them if they start running!

      Delete
  7. Love it! What a great way to have a positive influence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a nice byproduct of this "quest"!

      Delete
  8. This is SO awesome Amy; I hope I am setting a good example for my girls like you have!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, you are! And they will want to be just like Mom!

      Delete
  9. Awesome! And it's so true, actions speak loudly to all those around you, Great example :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I hope it also teaches my guys to respect girls more. Although that may just be something that comes waaaay later. :)

      Delete